As you will see shortly, there are cases when you do not need a Shopify business license to run your store and the same goes for other sales channels. This makes it even easier to work with multiple e-commerce platforms and be more efficient. Not to mention that you can control them all as one with Multiorders order management software. As an online seller, you need to figure out which marketplaces require a business license in order to start your business. In this article, you will learn when does Shopify require a business license.
When does Shopify require a business license?
First of all, most online sellers do not have to own a business license. In other words, it is manadatory only in a few cases. If you use the Shopify payment gateway or if you earn over $20,000 in a month. Otherwise, Shopify doesn’t require a business license, but it is strongly recommended to either check with your legislation office if you still need one by law.
When do you need a business license?
Just to be safe, you should also check your city and county requirements. Because some counties do not allow you to legally start the business without a business license. Also, you need to contact your city’s zoning or planning department to learn whether you can start a business locally. Another thing, which you might need to check is your state requirements. For example, some of them have outlined particular occupations to protect their residents. The common occupations that require a business license include:
- automotive mechanics
- building contractors
- real estate brokers
- collection agencies
- personal service provides
- insurance agencies
You can get more information from the U.S. small business administration about any particular state. Also, there is a certain type of businesses that requires a federal business license. It mostly applies to major corporations, but also includes companies that:
- operate aircraft
- drill for natural gas or oil
- manufacture/import/sell alcoholic beverages
- operate an oversized vehicle
- import or transport animals and plants across state lines
- broadcast via radio/television/cable/satellite
- manufacture/deal/import firearms or ammunition
- produce commercial nuclear energy or fuel
- have wildlife-related activities
- provide ocean transportation, are a commercial fishing business.
- Shopify Integration
- Does Shopify Resize Images?
- MARKETING: Increase Traffic to Your Shopify Store 2018
- TOP: Best Shopify Store Themes 2018 To Improve Sales